It is right about that time of year where almost all colleges are back in session or are at least very close to it. When I came in as a freshman I wouldn’t say I was naive about what college would be like but there are certainly some tips that I wish someone would have shared with me. Having been in college for two years now I feel like now is a good time to share my tips with you all. Here are 20 things I wish someone would have told me before I started college or just would have picked up on faster:
- Your planner will become a lifesaver! (Have some form of a planner)
- Everyone is not having as much fun as their social media makes it seem
- SLEEP– Even if you think you run best on little sleep, I promise getting a little bit more than that amount will make you feel like a superhuman the next day
- There are so many events to get free food at, find them!
- Take time to be social– I don’t care how busy you are (I’ve been drowning in work) take the time to hang out with friends, the work will get done regardless, and you might even get it done faster if you know you are going to hang out with friends
- It doesn’t take much effort to look presentable for class. Wear decent clothes, no sweat pants or PJs.
- More than likely you will change your major. I thought I would be that person to not change their major, I was so wrong.
- Professors have office hours for a reason, GO TO THEM! Make an effort to seek help when you need it or just go in to get advice from someone wiser than yourself!
- Don’t always stay on campus. Take the time to explore all of the places and restaurants surrounding your school. You will probably be there for four years find enjoyable things to do and clear your head.
- Save often and save everywhere. Ohhhhhhh boy how much I wish this one would stick in my head. Save your work as often as possible and save it to more than one location. You don’t want your computer to crash and lose 30+ hours worth of work, been there, done that, really really don’t want to go back because it was awful and I mean up till 4 a.m. and up again by 6 a.m., not fun….
- College is great, but go to a college where you get the most discount, especially if you are going to some form of a graduate school.
- You may not find your best friends your freshman year or maybe even your sophomore year, don’t get discouraged. Side note: friends come and go throughout college, don’t worry about it, it is normal
- Choose professors, not classes. A good professor can make a class, but a bad professor and break a class and maybe even your GPA. Find out which professors are the best one’s for a subject and take them if possible.
- If you can study abroad while in college, do it! It is probably the cheapest you will ever be able to travel abroad.
- The gym is FREE. Don’t let the freshman 15 creep up on you. Also, no matter how busy you are make time at least once a week for the gym, it will keep you healthy and a little less stressed.
- You pay to take classes which means you pay to listen to professors. Depending on your school’s rate, you could be paying $150 to skip a class or zone out, it’s not worth it.
- You and your roommate might not become best friends. Having been an RA I can personally attest to this. Be courteous, its not that hard and it will make your time in the dorms/residence halls so much more enjoyable.
- Don’t compare yourself… Everyone is on their own path and that includes you.
- Be academically honest, it is just easier in the long run. I have seen so many people do stupid stuff like cheat and it just ends up with you failing an assignment, class, or even getting kicked out of school.
- Enjoy the ride as best you can. It may be an extremely bumpy roller coaster with some pieces of track missing, but you will get through it and later in life it won’t matter or will just be funny.
I hope this was helpful someone reading it. I hope you all have a great and successful time at college and I hope you have a great day!
Also, I’m sorry this went up late, I’ve been trying to get it to where my post will actually go up when I schedule it. If anyone knows how to do that please leave a comment down below! You will be my lifesaver.