I’m a college student, and for the majority of us, that means debt and a crap ton of it! I was fortunate enough and worked hard enough in high school that I did earn myself a small scholarship, but that still leaves thousands of dollars in books, and food, and course fees. So I have been an RA for my university’s housing which helps me out quite a bit, but I always want to do better and be better.
It’s never safe to have all your eggs in one basket, so why are we so okay with having all of our money come from one source? Say that place closes down or something just happens and that revenue stream is no longer an option, we would be screwed! I don’t ever want to be in that circumstance, so I have various side hustles other than working for housing. Just to give you an idea of what all I do and what my life is like, I’m a full-time college student majoring in nutrition/biology & pre-med, I am an RA for our housing department which is labeled a part-time job but in reality I almost work between 30-40 hours a week most of the time. I also sell clothes on Poshmark for a family as well as my own clothes and nice items I have found in thrift stores and I have this blog(which isn’t profitable yet but I’m hoping I can get it there by the end of the year). Lastly, my newest edition, but probably my favorite is I opened a business with Arbonne as an independent consultant and am working my way up!
Now is a good time to tell you I am partly insane. I know there are plenty of people out there who work more and am busier than I am, but I’ve also had people ask me if I sleep. I don’t know which side of the tracks you fall on, but everyone has their own limit, and I don’t even think I’m at mine yet. I love and thrive off of being busy. I struggle to sit on the couch and watch Netflix and not feel guilty about it. That’s just who I am, I’m a passionate busybody who wants to remain out of debt. I also think I’m decently good at time management which is what allows me to manage everything I do.
As far as making money goes, I would only consider Poshmark and Arbonne my two side hustles. This blog has the potential to get there, but I still have a lot more work and love I need to pour into it first. Let me go more into detail about these two since these are how I actually make some money on the side.
Poshmark has been around for quite some time now and continues to grow in users which is great for both seller or buyers. At the moment I mostly sell soccer jerseys for a family who lost their son, he had quite a collection, but they just don’t want to see them anymore or have to deal with them, so I offered to sell them. They have a few rules, but otherwise, I earn half of the profit I make from selling the jerseys. I also am in the middle of cleaning out my closet because I haven’t worn over half of my closet in so long so I thought it would just be better to sell them. Every now and then I will see a nice or unique item at my local thrift store and will sell it on there for a quick profit. At the moment I make around $300 a month from Poshmark, but I would be surprised if it fluctuates.
If you are looking for some new clothes or know someone who loves soccer jerseys, my Poshmark username is madisoneran so feel free to look me up! I am also always willing to negotiate!
This is my newest pride and joy of a side hustle because I love everything this company stands for. I’m a nutrition major so its a given that I am interested in their nutrition products, but they also have skincare and makeup lines as well in addition to everyday products like deodorant and toothpaste. I am somewhat new to this but I am already on track to get some form of a paycheck this month and it just from sharing products I love with others. If any of you have heard of this company and heard things like its a pyramid scheme, that is honestly just funny to me. In a pyramid scheme, only a person at the top gets paid, but I am at the very bottom, 2 1/2 weeks in, and already set to earn a small commission. This entire company is based on helping others both through their products and their business model! Their products are based on helping others to live a healthy, more natural, and happy lifestyle. You help others reach their goals both through products and business and if you don’t help and build up those around you, you will struggle more which is a business model I can stand behind.
I don’t want this post to turn into an Arbonne praise-session because I am so in love that I could talk for longer than you would want to read! If you have any questions or are interested in the business don’t be afraid to comment down below or to DM on Instagram! MY Insta is always linked down below and my username is madisoneran. I’d love to talk!
If you want to shop products my website is madisoneran.arbonne.com
Those are my main side hustles and a little bit about them, but now I am going to tell you why I think it is a really good idea to have a side hustle.
Why You Should Have a Side Hustle
- As I mentioned earlier, you don’t only want to have one revenue stream because you leave yourself open to being screwed. By having multiple streams or revenue it allows you to be more financially secure should something happen.
- It makes you a motivated person! If you are anything like me you are a very self-driven and goal oriented person. I love being able to tick things off my goal list, even if they are little. It’s an accomplishment and you should be proud of it!
- The amount of time you put into something is worth more when it’s your own. What I mean by this is you are more willing to put in a lot of work when its something you built and created yourself and especially when you are making money off of it!
- You want to continue to grow as a person and by having a side hustle or multiple side hustles it teaches you a lot about yourself! You also continue to grow your knowledge and keep your brain engages especially if you are having to learn for your side hustle. I mean don’t we all want to be 40 in our brain when we are actually 80? I know I do and by continuing to challenge yourself and your brain who help to ensure your brain is engaged and doesn’t slowly loose functions and abilities. Yes I know, nerd alert, but I want to always be me and I always want to continue learning, it’s impossible;le for us to ever know everything.
- Wages aren’t increasing and haven’t significantly done so in a long time. It is very possible to make almost as much if not more than your fulltime job at your side hustle per hour. Everyone could use a little extra cash and this is a great way to do it.
- Lastly, if you were ever considering a change in careers or were interested and passionate about something you didn’t know if you could earn money doing this is a phenomenal way to test the waters.
Thank you for reading and if you have a side hustle or are wanting to start a side hustle, I’d love to know what it is!